Aka Passion Flower
Health Benefits include:
1. Reduces Anxiety and Stress: Passiflora has a long tradition of use as a relaxant and stress reliever. Studies have found that passiflora has a calming effect on the central nervous system, which leads to decreased anxiety in people with mild to moderate levels of anxiety.
2. Aids with Sleep: The calming effect of passiflora has long been known as an aid to sleep. Research has shown that both the flowers and the leaves of the plant contain several flavonoids that can help improve sleep in people with insomnia or other sleep disturbances.
3. Rich in Antioxidants: Passiflora is rich in several antioxidants, including vitamin C and carotenoids. These antioxidants are important for fighting free radicals, which are molecules in the body that can damage cells and cause disease.
4. May Reduce Inflammation: Preliminary research has found that passiflora may help reduce inflammation in the body.
5. May Help With Headaches: Passiflora powder may help in reducing headaches and migraines. The compounds in passiflora may help relax the smooth muscles that cause vasodilation, a condition in which blood vessels open up, which may lead to headaches.
6. May Help Enhance Cognitive Function: Research suggests that Passiflora powder may help improve cognitive function, thanks to its antioxidant and anti-stress effects.
7. May Help In Digestion: Passiflora powder may help with digestion, thanks to its carminative properties
Passiflora can be brewed into a tea with honey or a sweetener of your choice to create an herbal remedy with medicinal benefits. Most people recommend starting off with a small dose (e.g. ¼ teaspoon) mixed with water or juice for several weeks before slowly increasing the amount. It is also possible to add passiflora powder to smoothies, yogurt, salads, and other foods. It is recommended to take passiflora powder either with food or after a meal.
However, it is important to speak with a healthcare professional before beginning any supplementation program.